Varicose veins are twisted, enlarged veins near the surface of the skin. They are most common in the legs and ankles. Varicose veins are caused by weakened valves and veins in your legs. Normally, one-way valves in your veins keep blood flowing from your legs up toward your heart.
When these valves do not work as they should, blood collects in your legs, and pressure builds up. The veins become weak, large, and twisted. Varicose veins are swollen and enlarged veins – usually blue or dark purple – that usually occur on the legs. They may also be lumpy, bulging or twisted in appearance.
Varicose Veins can complicate into:
- Inflammation: of the veins i.e. thrombophlebitis, causing swelling in the feet and ankles.
- Blood Clots: When the inflammation starts affecting the deeper veins of the legs, there could be sudden swelling in the legs.
- Skin Changes: Skin over the affected area just above the tortuous vein shows certain changes like inflammation, dryness, discolouration, eczema and even ulceration
There are ways to ease symptoms of existing varicose veins, such as:
- Avoiding standing or sitting still for long periods and trying to move around every 30 minutes
- Taking regular breaks throughout the day, raising the legs on pillows while resting to ease discomfort
- Exercising regularly – this can improve circulation and help maintain a healthy weight
Homeopathy works very well for mild to moderate cases of varicose veins. It helps to reduce pain, control further varicosity, reduces swelling. Homeopathy also helps significantly in the cases which have varicose ulcers. Homeopathic treatment is strongly recommended for all cases of varicose veins except for those which are truly surgical in nature.